Welcome to the 270th Android Apps Weekly! Take a look at the big headlines from the last week:
- Google Play has an excellent little sale right now. It is mostly for mobile games and some of the titles are actually really good. Monument Valley 1 and 2 are on sale for $0.99. Samarost 3, a popular (albeit older) puzzle game is is 80% off. In addition, The Room: Old Sins is on sale for $1.49 and Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lion is on sale for $3.59 (down from $11.99). There are many others as well scattered around. However, the highlights are the aforementioned games. The sale should run through the weekend at the very least, possibly until the end of the month.
- The popular zombie shooter Unkilled had a huge update this week. One of its most requested features is the ability to play story missions in co-op mode. Players got their wish this week. It’s a little restrictive right now. Players can only team up with one other player. In addition, Madfinger Games added new bad guys, new guns, and some other smaller things as well. Unkilled is easily among the best freemium shooters on mobile and this update gives it a fairly fresh set of features. Give it a shot if you haven’t already!
- YouTube is airing free movies now, apparently. The video streaming service quietly launched a new feature that lets you watch actual movies. Some of the titles include The Terminator, Rocky, The Pink Panther, Hackers, All Dogs Go To Heaven, The Man in the Iron Mask, and dozens of others. Most movies are either older or were less than amazing blockbusters. However, there are a ton of recognizable titles in the list. You can view all of them for free. However, there are un-skippable advertisements similar to how Hulu works. This could be a huge deal if YouTube actually makes some money out of this.
- Google’s Find My Device app got a fantastic update this week. It now includes indoor maps for large areas like stadiums, malls, airports, and similar areas. Thus, people who lose their phones in these types of areas can narrow down the location a lot more easily than they could before. That’s about it in terms of the update. However, the move to indoor maps means more accurate location tracking. That’s especially important with a lost phone. In any case, hit the link to read more about the update!
- Blizzard is allegedly working on a new Warcraft game for mobile. It’s not like most other Blizzard games or even other Blizzard mobile games. It’s going to be an AR game similar to Pokémon Go. There aren’t a ton of details yet. However, the story mentioned that Blizzard employees seem to really enjoy Pokémon Go and wanted to do a game like it. The details are sparse, but check out the linked article to find out more.
Ava Airborne is a side-scrolling runner game. You launch Ava into the air and drift as far as possible without hitting the ground. There are also obstacles to avoid, rewards to reap, and customization items to find. It’s reminiscent of Alto’s Adventure in terms of graphics. It has that indie feel with colorful backgrounds and smooth controls. However, Alto’s Adventure and Odyssey are still the cleaner games. In any case, this one is a freemium title and you don’t really need the freemium elements to enjoy the game. It’s not half bad.
Rivet is a new reading app for kids. It primarily focuses on kids ages five through seven or Kindergarten through second grade. The app shows kids a word along with a bunch of images and the kids choose the proper image for the word. It’s nothing too revolutionary, but it’s a nice little reading exercise for younger kids. The app includes 1,500 books, a colorful UI, practice modes, and plenty of organization features. It’s in beta. Thus, you should expect bugs and various issues as developers work out the kinks. It seemed to work okay for us, though.
Assassin’s Creed Rebellion is the latest mobile game from the popular series. This one is a strategy RPG with gacha and some kingdom building elements. You unlock up to 40 characters, build a base, and defeat the Templars. It has a lot of the freemium flair, including a simple introduction to the game followed by tons of grinding. There are also a host of limited time events and some social elements as well. It’s as freemium as freemium gets, but it doesn’t seem to be too aggressive. The Play Store rating is an above average 4.5 out of 5 stars. It’s not bad for a gacha game.
Simple Mobile is a developer on Google Play with some delightfully simple apps. They include a gallery, calendar, file manager, and even a drawing app. The developer launched a pro version of every single one of them recently. The pro versions go for $0.99 each and are worth every penny for the minimalists among our readership. All of the apps work offline, optional sync features, and a decent Material Design UI. We have the whole developer page linked up at the button above if you want to check them out.
Kingdom Rush is one of the most popular tower defense games on mobile. Kingdom Rush Vengeance is the latest game in the franchise. It has a lot of the same elements as prior games. That includes a fantasy setting, a bunch of upgradeable towers, and heroes to help things along. This new entrant adds more towers, more bad guys and boss fights, and more. The game also works completely offline if needed. Frankly, this is right up there with Bloons TD 5 as one of the best tower defense releases of the year. It runs for $4.99 with optional in-app purchases.
If we missed any big Android apps or games news, updates, or releases, tell us about them in the comments! Check out our weekly podcast as well!